Gelato Team USA is gearing up to bring home the gold in the 2016 Gelato World Cup held in Rimini, Italy, during Sigep. The five-member team formed by ACF Bay Area Chefs Association of Oregon will be competing against 13 other countries for the overall win. The competition takes place Jan. 23-25, 2016.
Team members are:
- Dirk Koeppenkastrop, Ph.D., owner, II Gelato Hawaii, Honolulu, ACF Honolulu Chapter, team captain
- John Hui, CEPC, AAC, corporate pastry chef, Pebble Beach Resorts, Pebble Beach, California, team manager
- Michele Pompei, bakery/pastry instructor, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in Seattle, team lead pastry chef
- Tim Brown, baking/pastry instructor, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, Rhode Island, team pastry chef
- Chris Foltz, culinary instructor, Oregon Coast Culinary Institute, Coos Bay, Oregon, team ice carver
A team from the U.S. has competed in seven world championships since the competition launched in 2006 where the U.S. won “Best Gelato Cake.” In 2008, they won “Best Gelato Tub” and received the international “Best Taste” award and “People’s Choice” award in 2012.
The team will compete in seven different tests to include decorated cup, gelato cake, mystery box, entree with gourmet gelato, chocolate gelato mignon, ice sculpture and a grand buffet finale.
Sigep is an international exhibition for artisan production of gelato, pastry, confectionery and bakery and all things Italian food.