ongratulations to all of the ACF chefs who brought home awards from the Villeroy and Boch Culinary World Cup 2018, including: Marvin Herrera, CEC, gold medal and second place overall in the Culinary Art Individual category; Vanessa Marquis, CEC, silver medal; Edward Castillo, CEC, silver medal; Peter Sproul, CEC, AAC, silver medal; James Storm, bronze medal; Robert Walljasper, CEC, CCE, bronze medal; Jeremy Abbey, CEC, CEPC, CCE, CCA, diploma. ACF is proud to have so many talented chefs dedicate their time and talent to compete at this level.
Aaron Bremer, CEC, is the subject of an article in Greater Fort Wayne Business Weekly by Linda Lipp. The article details Chef Bremer’s career path from dishwasher at his parents’ restaurant, Bob’s Restaurant in Woodburn, Indiana, to executive chef at Thermodyne Foodservice Products Inc.
The ACF Cleveland Chapter held its 58th annual Presidents Brunch at the Chagrin Valley Hunt Club in October. Chapter awards included Portage Country Club Executive Chef Jonathan Steele Pepera, CEC being selected as the Chef of the Year, Tony Stanislo of the Medina County Career Center receiving Chef Educator of the Year, and Minor’s received the Purveyor Partner of the Year. The chapter also awarded $4,000 in scholarships and one-year ACF memberships to local culinary students.
Last year, Minor’s® challenged chefs nationwide to develop and submit original recipes for a chance to win over $25,000 in prizes. In November, the judges named Barry Greenberg, CEC, from Iowa City, Iowa, as the grand prize winner for his Carnita Tamale Tarts, an interpretation of tamal de cazuela. Chef Greenberg won $10,000 plus a trip to watch the prestigious Bocuse d’Or Culinary Competition in Lyon, France on January 29-30.
Gabriel Maldonado, CEC, CCA is the new executive chef at The Gasparilla Inn and Club in Boca Grande, Florida. Chef Maldonado, a member of the ACF Caxambas Chapter of Southwest Florida, he previously held a position at New Canaan Country Club in New Canaan, Connecticut.
- Damon E. Giancola, ACF Philadelphia Delaware Valley Chefs Association, ACF Accreditation Commission
- Ernest Miller, ACF Chefs de Cuisine Association of California
- Christopher R. Jacobi, ACF Washington State Chefs Association
- Robert C. Readel, ACF Professional Chefs / Cooks Association of Rochester
- Rebecca L. Formwalt, ACF of Greater Buffalo New York
- Louis (Tony) A. Gallo, ACF New Orleans Chapter
- Andrew D. Justin, ACF of Northwestern Michigan
- Kimberley R. Smith, ACF Atlanta Chefs Association, Inc.
- Willie Stinson, ACF Pittsburgh Chapter
- Elmer E. Byrem, ACF Harrisburg Chapter