s the COVID-19 pandemic sweeps across the world, we all find ourselves in an unexpected and unprecedented situation. The restaurant industry is being hit especially hard by new restrictions that have been put in place all over the U.S. to help contain the spread of the virus. The sudden cancellations of events and forced closures of restaurants, bars, schools, and other establishments has left almost everyone wondering, “What now?”.
While the news is rapidly changing, and there are more unknowns than certainties right now, the American Culinary Federation wants to be a resource for everyone in this strange time. The good news is, we are all in this together. Chefs are notoriously resilient creatures, and while no one can tell right now how long the effects of the pandemic will ripple through our lives, there is no doubt that our industry will survive this.
Life on the other side of the lock downs and quarantines will probably look different. It will take time to return to normal, to get our daily routines back and to get our businesses back up and running. With the support of one another, we can get through this together and come out of it even stronger. Every chef understands the importance of teamwork and cooperation, and now is the time to keep practicing those vital skills.
One of the core benefits that the ACF offers is networking. We invite you to join in on the conversation on our social media platforms, especially our Facebook groups. Here you can reach out to your fellow chefs and offer or ask for help, advice, or just seek out camaraderie with like-minded people while you hunker down at home.
We have also compiled a list of resources related to the virus and the economic effects of it. We’ll keep this list updated over the coming weeks and add new items as we discover them.
Please feel free to reach out to us at any time. We want to hear from you and know how our members are being affected by the global pandemic.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Assistance
- San Francisco, CA- COVID-19 SMALL BUSINESS RESILIENCY FUND
- Charlottesville, VA- Charlottesville Restaurant Community Fund
- Georgia- Giving Kitchen
- Texas- Southern Smoke Foundation Emergency Relief Program
- NYC- Rethink Food Restaurant Response Program
- Seattle, WA- 2020 Emergency Fund for Businesses Impacted by COVID-19
- Grubhub and Major Cities Across the U.S. Launch Economic Relief Effort up to $100 Million for Independent Restaurants and Delivery Partners Impacted by COVID-19
- U.S. Small Business Administration Loans
- U.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Program
- U.S. Small Business Administration Lender Match Program
Financial impact investment banker Daniel Lewis’ resource list
Resources for restaurants:
- The Trotter Project: COVID-19 Information and Resources
- Petition: Save America’s Restaurants
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Combating the Coronavirus
- National Restaurant Association: Coronavirus Information
Independent Restaurant Coalition https://www.saverestaurants.
Safety & sanitation information:
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Overview of COVID-19
- U.S. Department of Labor Q&A on Fair Labor Standards Act and Family and Medical Leave Act
- Environmental Protection Agency List of approved disinfectants for use against Coronavirus
- National Restaurant Association COVID-19 Prevention tips
- Centers for Disease Control Community Mitigation Strategy
- Dining at a Distance – Listing of restaurants that are still operating during lockdowns in major cities
- Atlanta Restaurants Temporarily Offering Curbside Pick-Up and Delivery
- Tracking Nashville Restaurant Closures and Changes Due to Coronavirus Concerns
- Where to Eat Excellent Takeout While Dallas’s Dining Rooms Are Closed
- ACF Travel information
- Ecolab COVID-19 Resource Library
- National Restaurant Association Restaurant Employee Relief Fund – offering a $500 grant for all restaurant employees. Check with your state restaurant association for additional grant opportunities. https://rerf.us/apply-for-aid/
- James Beard Foundation Relief Fund – offering grants for restaurant workers. Fund temporarily suspended due to overwhelming demand. https://www.modestneeds.org/for-applicants/apply-for-help.asp
- Restaurant Opportunities Center United – offering grants for all restaurant workers. https://rocunited.org/relief/
- Another Round, Another Rally – offering a $500 grants for all restaurant workers. https://anotherroundanotherrally.org/?fbclid=IwAR2NYl5YUCDvpIjCYRjxzvxaoMrYOLW3DWANoQKDJEKZT-yFf6x2OsCXias
- One Fair Wage – offering grants to all restaurant workers. https://ofwemergencyfund.org/help
- Southern Smoke – offering grants to all restaurant workers. https://southernsmoke.org/fund/
- CORE (Children of Restaurant Employees) – grants for families in the hospitality industry. https://coregives.typeform.com/to/SnZmOQ
- One Hope – offering grants to mothers in the hospitality industry. https://onehopewine8.typeform.com/to/gtGsV7?fbclid=IwAR10vdfDtR7ofcbFT1RIE9RmAJirKlK7iZ8MKqByqI3GtJOn5-P8lK0-hzM
- The Greg Hill Foundation – offering grants to hospitality workers in Massachusetts. https://thegreghillfoundation.submittable.com/submit/163383/restaurant-strong-grant-application
- Golden Rule Charity – offering a job search platform. https://www.goldenrulecharity.org/grant-application
- Modest Needs – crowd-funded donation service for all restaurant workers. https://www.modestneeds.org/for-applicants/apply-for-help.asp
Resources for Culinary Educators:
- ACF Harrisburg Chapter Educator Approved Resources http://acfharrisburg.org/?page_id=2966
- Canada Cutlery Education Resources – https://www.canadacutlery.us/education.asp and https://thediscriminatingchef.com/
- Chef Brian Peffley Baking Demos, Lebanon County Career and Technology Center: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVjV6coBhzRq54zlmKHptdQ
- Chef Chris Willis, Columbia School District – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC34_nCrRxKdY17lGM82A4UA?view_as=subscriber
- Chef Kevin Clarke Fish Fabrication Demo, Colorado Mountain College Culinary Institute – https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cYf63eaCAG?fbclid=IwAR3UVzKgOHP0oXbZLKU2odNuqGPtil2Dvaznh3n2sjuIYMa3r_YycGt-HTc
- Chef Phillip Cropper, Worcester Technical High School – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0YsBcwPYS0
- CTE Online – https://www.cteonline.org/
- Remind app – https://www.remind.com/