Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with tips for the perfect grilled cheese from the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.
Creating a delicious grilled cheese is something anyone can accomplish, but mastering the technique takes practice. Here are some tips to help you create the perfect grilled cheese:
- Don’t let the bread be an afterthought. The texture, taste and thickness of the bread can make a big difference in the overall flavor. Think of the bread as a blank canvas – use high-quality slices to amplify the ingredients between and complement with texture and taste. Make sure slices are an appropriate thickness to ensure proper melting while toasting.
- Consider a cheese-melting strategy for optimal texture. From gooey to stringy, cheese melt depends on the age, type and preparation of the cheese. To help navigate the complex world of cheese melting and achieve optimal texture, use this guide to determine which cheeses may suit your sandwich best.
- Too much cheese? Don’t be shy when piling on the cheese. We’re biased, but it’s true that a healthy dose of cheese will result in an irresistible layer of melted, gooey goodness. And if there happens to be a little more cheese than needed, we don’t think anyone will complain. Just be sure to layer the cheese on both the top and bottom slices of the bread to keep the melting within the sandwich, rather than between ingredients where it can ooze out.
- There’s a wide world of flavors worth exploring; get creative! The only way to know for sure if a flavor combination works is to try it! Take inspiration from some of your favorite dishes with bold or unique flavors and adapt the flavors into a sandwich. You never know what may become your next favorite combination.
- Cover and cook low and slow. Cook a grilled cheese too fast, and the bread will burn before the cheese has a chance to melt thoroughly. Keep the sandwich covered (don’t worry that it will steam – it won’t) until the final flip, and the cheese will melt beautifully.
Have an amazing grilled cheese recipe of your own?
In celebration of National Grilled Cheese Month, the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board is hosting its 6th annual recipe contest – the 2017 Grilled Cheese Recipe Showdown – with over $25,000 in cash prizes and giveaways.
To enter, visit GrilledCheeseAcademy.com between now and May 14 and submit your best original grilled cheese sandwich recipe and photo.